A new habit in 8 easy steps
Tired of setting goals and not achieving them?
The trick is to chip away at your goal in small, incremental steps.
In other words, when you know how to form a new habit (related to your goal), then you can turn success into a series of daily actions.
- Focus on ONE New Habit: what do you want to achieve?
- Commit 30 days: During this time, your entire life should be structured around carving out time every day to consistently do it.
- Anchor Your New Habit to an Established Habit: A habit shouldn’t be based upon motivation, fads, or temporary desire. Rather, it should be instilled in your life to the point it becomes habitual.
- Take Baby Steps: Really, the only way to make a habit stick is to turn it into automatic behaviour. You can do this by taking baby steps and creating a low level of commitment.
- Make a Plan for Obstacles: Prepare and anticipate that these obstacles will come. Then, you won’t be blindsided by them.
- Create Accountability for Your Habit: hint hint, that's us in this community!
- Reward Important Milestones: Focus on building a reward system into the process so you can take time to celebrate the successful completion of your goals.
- Build a New Identity: You can do a lot by committing to a small action, doing it every day, increasing the effort over time and overcoming obstacles.