Clean out the fridge
It's that time of year with random leftovers, extra ingredients from holiday shopping lists, etc.
Last night I looked at the contents in the fridge and thought 'I wonder if I can use most of that to make a broccoli salad'. Here's what we used to make what turned out to be a very delicious and filling broccoli salad.
- broccolini heads from sister-in-laws garden
- extra bacon purchased for Christmas Breakfast
- hard boiled egg (again extras purchased for Christmas)
- pan roasted pine nuts in bacon grease (left overs from homemade pesto)
- last of the rocket leaves left over from salad earlier in the week
- quarter of red onion left over from some guacamole
- some sad looking mushrooms at the bottom of the veggie drawer
Dressing Ingredients (nothing measured just guessing and tasting as I go):
- tahini (bottle found at back of fridge with expiry of 2018 - oopsie!)
- crushed garlic
- fresh lemon juice
- apple cider vinegar
Another favourite of mine to make with random fridge items / big fridge clean-outs are homemade pizzas. I'd love to know how you become creative in the kitchen to avoid food waste.